Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Metropolitan Cafe - A Review

Metropolitan Cafe 

8 East Main Street, Freehold, NJ




Metropolitan Cafe



On Saturday night, January 5th, 2013, my friend and entrepreneur, Jene Ryan and I went to dinner is quaint Freehold NJ.  Freehold is a about a forty-five minute drive south of New York City and is a small town that offers a large mall and some local restaurants in the main street area.

Jene had picked out the Metropolitan Cafe, a New American restaurant with a Pacific Rim flair. 

When we walked in, the hostess on the left quickly greeted us and advised us that there was an hour wait for a table. With some hesitation, we decided we would wait by the bar and have a couple drinks and wait. 

As we walk in, there is a small lounge area to the left with some seats for people waiting for tables and ahead on the right is a long wooden bar, jam packed with patrons.

We find a seat over in the lounge and I go grab two drinks from the bar. The bartender was attentive but when they ran out of the rum that I requested, he substituted the house rum and neglected to tell me. I don't think he thought I was watching but I let it slide not to cause a scene.

I then sat down with Jene and started to discuss her new business venture, Society of Chic.
To our surprise, within a half an hour, the hostess came over and advised us that our table was ready.


Yin & Yang Dumplings


We had started with the Yin &Yang Dumplings, which were a mix of pork and shrimp in a traditional dumpling. 
While at the table I ordered a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, rather than deal with the rum debacle again, and it went nicely with my main course and Ms Jene had a rather nice glass of Bailey's Irish Cream on the rocks. 

Cheers to a Prosperous 2013



Our main course had come and looked quite delicious.

Jene had ordered the Spicy Girl roll, which consisted of pepper tuna, avocado, scallions and mango, topped with salmon and a spicy sauce. I had to sneak a bite and it was delicious and fresh.
Next time I come I will definitely have the sushi.




I on the other hand had gone with something off the standard menu and tried the Prosciutto wrapped Sea Bass with a Chambord-Balsamic glaze and a side of asparagus rice. The fish was cooked perfectly and the mixture of the prosciutto and the fish along with the glaze went well. The waitress had recommended the glaze on the side and she was correct, it was very overpowering, but just a little went a long way and made the flavors blend together well.



All in all, this cozy upscale yet casual restaurant in the heart of Freehold township really has a nice flair and well prepared food. Aside from the snafu at the bar, I'd give the Metropolitan Cafe a B+ rating.

Jene Ryan - Owner of SocietyofChic.com 

Matty Di



Check out Society of Chic - Your One Stop for Modern and Vintage Clothing!




No comments:

Post a Comment